Organization and Operation
- IEEE/IEEE-SA/PES relationship to SPDC
- SPDC Organisation
- Procedural Documents
- Sub-Committee Scopes
- High Voltage Standards Working Group Scopes
- High Voltage Guide Working Group Scopes
- High Voltage Neutral Grounding Devices Working Group Scopes
- Low Voltage Surge Protective Device Working Groups
- Low Voltage Surge Protective Component Working Groups
- Low Voltage Guide Working Groups
- Administration Sub-Committee Working Group Scopes
- Member awards & tributes
- Contact us
- Organization and Operation
Meetings & News
- 2017 Fall SPDC Meeting
- SPDC WebStore
- Plenary minutes
- SPDC Newsletter
- Admin. Log
- SPDC 2005-10_Fall-Meeting
- SPDC 2006-05_Spring-Meeting
- PES 2006-06 Meeting
- SPDC 2006-10_Fall-Meeting
- SPDC 2007-05_Spring-Meeting
- SPDC 2007-10_Fall-Meeting
- SPDC 2008-05_Spring-Meeting
- SPDC 2008-11_Fall-Meeting
- SPDC 2009-05 Spring Meeting
- SPDC 2009-10 Fall Meeing
- SPDC 2010-11_Fall-Meeting
- SPDC 2011-05_Spring-Meeting
- SPDC 2011-10_Fall-Meeting
- SPDC 2012-11 Fall-Meeting
- SPDC 2013-05 Spring Meeting
- YouTube Protection Videos
- New NEMA page
Organization and Operation
Surge Protective Devices (Main) Committee Scope
Treatment of all matters in which the dominant factors are the design, construction, testing, safety, preparation of standards and guides, selection, application and integration of protective devices with auxiliary systems and equipment (such as shield wires, lightning masts, etc.) designed to prevent damage and/or outages to electrical power generation, transmission, distribution, utilization and communication systems, and associated equipment due to transient overvoltages, transient currents, temporary overvoltages and temporary fault currents. Excluded are interrupting devices with and without current-limiting ability. Included is treatment of the following:
- Overvoltage surge protective devices (such as surge arresters, surge protection devices, protective gaps, and surge protective capacitors).
- Neutral grounding devices (such as grounding reactors and grounding transformers - jointly with the Transformer Committee - resistors and combinations thereof).
- Lightning and switching surge investigations jointly with the Transmission and Distribution Committee.
- Promotion of studies, technical papers, and discussions on performance of devices, seeking new contributions on improved recommended practices, updating bibliographies, standards and guides.
- Matters relating to surge protective devices specifically designed for application covered by other technical committees of IEEE (such as Power System Communication Committee) or societies (such as Industry Applications Society and Communications Society), may be treated jointly if emphasis is on the particular requirements of the application.
Clicking on a list item at the bottom of this page will take you to that page. A "book" format is used with navigation tools at the bottom of each page. Clicking "up" will take you to this first book page. Clicking on the left or right page titles will take you to that page of the book.