Meetings & News
A "cookie" is a small file that may be downloaded by a viewed website on to the device browser. The UK International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) Cookie Guide classifies cookies into the four classes shown below:
- Strictly Necessary Cookies: Enable the website to perform basic functions.
- Functionality Cookies: Allows the website to remember choices you make when browsing
- Performance Cookies: Collect aggregated (anonymous) information about how visitors use a website.
- Targeting/Advertising Cookies: Set by businesses for the prime or sole purpose of managing the performance of adverts, displaying adverts, and/or building user profiles to determine the display of adverts on other websites.
Our site Webmaster doesn't explicitly set cookies. The first party cookies delivered to the browser are inherent to the way the site Content Management System software, Drupal, and associated modules function. When you first visit the site delivers cookies #1 and #2 of the list below. The session cookie #3 is delivered when the user logs in. The filedepotfolders cookie #4 is delivered when the user explores the document management system.
- Drupal.tableDrag.showWeight is used to remember display preferences. The cookie expires after a defined period, usually 12 months.
- SESS[unique number] is the login session cookie allowing you to visit private areas and post material to the website. This cookie is essential for site functionality and the user experience. The cookie expires after 20 days.
- filedepotfolders records current folder location when the document management system is accessed. The cookie expires when the browser closes.
- cookie-agreed-en records how the cookies notification message has been acknowledged by an EU user. The cookie expires after a defined period, usually 12 months.
These five cookies, a mixture of Strictly Necessary and Functionality cookies, are what a browser might receive from the site. Over a one month period the website cookie delivery log showed the following cookie downloads occurred:
- has_js 2573
- Drupal_tableDrag_showWeight 1476
- SES[unique number] 2374
- filedepotfolders 599
- cookie-agreed-en 18
The Drupal_tableDrag_showWeight cookie (display preferences) can still be present when a new session starts and so its download number is reduced compared to cookies #1 and session cookie #3.
The filedepotfolders cookie (contribution file folder bookmark) will only be delivered to users who browse the document management system.
The website is not set up to deliver Performance and Targeting/Adverting cookies. Performance cookies are not needed as aggregated (anonymous) information about how visitors use a site is collected by the host server traffic monitoring software (AWStats). Financial transactions, like meeting registration fees and hotel bookings, are handled by third party sites and these may deliver their own cookie set.
If you do not wish cookies to be set, you can disable cookies in your browser. Most browsers give you the choice of:-
- Accepting all cookies
- Blocking all cookies
- Allowing or blocking cookies from specific web sites.
- Allowing or blocking cookies from third party sites
The following websites provide details on how to change your browser cookie settings:
- Civicuk.com (URL retrieved 2014-04-08)
- AboutCookies.org (URL retrieved 2014-04-08)
- Allaboutcookies.org (URL retrieved 2014-04-08)