Meetings & News
New forum topics
- Remote telecommunications equipment powering
- Remote Radio Unit (RRU) DC feed protection
- New waveshape definitions for 1.2/50-8/20 and 10/700
- Characteristics and Ratings –by terms and definitions
- ICT means?
- Website conformance
- Ten350 Web site discussion
- Component, assembly and device
- Introduction to Surge Mitigation Techniques
This UK website is operated for the benefit of IEEE PES Surge Protective Devices Committee (SPDC) participants and surge protection stakeholders. This page gives an overview of the topics dealt with and site activities. More details are available by clicking or tapping the accordion tabs below or the main menu bar buttons above.
Surge Protective Devices Committee (SPDC) Scope
Treatment of all matters in which the dominant factors are the design, construction, testing, safety, preparation of standards and guides, selection, application and integration of protective devices with auxiliary systems and equipment (such as shield wires, lightning masts, etc.) designed to prevent damage and/or outages to electrical power generation, transmission, distribution, utilization and communication systems, and associated equipment due to transient overvoltages, transient currents, temporary overvoltages and temporary fault currents. Excluded are interrupting devices with and without current-limiting ability. Included is treatment of the following:
- Overvoltage surge protective devices (such as surge arresters, surge protection devices, protective gaps, and surge protective capacitors).
- Neutral grounding devices (such as grounding reactors and grounding transformers - jointly with the Transformer Committee - resistors and combinations thereof).
- Lightning and switching surge investigations jointly with the Transmission and Distribution Committee.
- Promotion of studies, technical papers, and discussions on performance of devices, seeking new contributions on improved recommended practices, updating bibliographies, standards and guides.
- Matters relating to surge protective devices specifically designed for application covered by other technical committees of IEEE (such as Power System Communication Committee) or societies (such as Industry Applications Society and Communications Society), may be treated jointly if emphasis is on the particular requirements of the application.
- SPDs employed in generation, transmission, distribution and utilization of electrical energy including the effects of such device on the system’s operation.
- Treatment of the techniques and needs for coordination within, between, and among SPDs and their environment, to the extent that these factors affect protection functions or performance. Environment includes such items as insulation coordination and the application of system neutral grounding devices.
- Sponsorship and development (either alone or jointly with other technical committees and/or organizations) of standards, recommended practices, guidelines and policies as well as preparation of position papers and/or documents, technical conferences and/or sessions on matters related items above.
- Liaison and cooperation with other technical committees, societies, subcommittees and associations concerned with various aspects of items above.
Reproduced from the IEEE PES SPDC Operations Manual (effective 2012-02-07)
What is a Surge Protective Device (SPD)?
Electrical events, such as lightning, can couple into metallic conductors and cause damage from the excessive system voltages and currents (surges) generated. SPDs are used to mitigate these coupled surges in both High Voltage (HV) and Low Voltage (LV) power systems and ICT (Information & Communication Technology) systems. To provide mitigation, SPDs use functional elements that are linear or non-linear or combinations of both. Typically an SPD has a non-linear voltage-current characteristic that reduces voltages exceeding the normal safe system levels by a rapid increase in conducted current. Such SPDs are also called voltage limiters or overvoltage protectors or (surge) arresters.
The SPDC is a technical committee of the IEEE Power & Energy Society (PES). It is the Working Groups (WGs) of the High Voltage and Low Voltage SPDC Subcommittees (SCs) that create and maintain SPD related IEEE Standards, Guides and Practice documents. These document catagories can be further subdivided by Device or Component type:
- Arresters, High Voltage (>1000 V rms)
- Neutral Grounding Devices, High Voltage (>1000 V rms)
- AC Power Surge Protective Devices, Low Voltage (<1000 V rms)
- Communications (Signal) Surge Protective Devices, Low Voltage (<1000 V rms)
- Surge Protective Components, Low Voltage (<1000 V rms)
This Drupal powered Web site has two areas; an "open" area, visible to all and Internet search engine accessible, and a "private" area, accessed by authorised SPDC participants by user login. The "private" area is mainly used for standards development. For security reasons the Web site "Search" function is only available to authorised SPDC participants.
To receive SPDC news updates by e-mail, subscribe to the SPDC Newsletter.
The SPDC holds two meetings a year, one in the Spring and the other in the Fall. During each meeting there will be sessions of the Main Committee (plenary), Sub-Committees and Working Groups. Dates of upcoming SPDC meeting dates and venues are posted on the SPDC Web sites. For this Web site meeting dates and venues are posted in the Meetings area. Closer to the meeting date, a meeting notice, hotel booking details, meeting registration charges and schedule will be posted on the Web site. Agendas for each group meeting are issued by their respective group.
The site map shows the Web site structure and content. Clicking on a site map list item takes you to that page.
We welcome your suggestions and comments on content. Please contact our web site author.
WARNING: The site content is of a general nature only and is not intended to address the specific circumstances of any particular individual or entity; nor be necessarily comprehensive, complete, accurate or up to date; nor represent professional or legal advice.
Main Menu Guide
The Main Menu consists of tabbed topics, with two or more levels of dropdown submenu. The Main Menu appears as a horizontal bar on large displays or a grey button with dropdowns on small displays. The menu topic list is
Home: Page you are currently viewing
About us: SPDC Organization and Operation in terms of
- Procedural Documents
- Sub-Committee Scopes
- Working Group Scopes
- Member awards & tributes
- Contact Details
Standards: Completed and in Development, in terms of
- Published standards
- SPDC published terms & definitions
- Development projects
- Contribution Files for development projects (has public and private areas)
Meetings & News: Meeting announcements, schedules, registration and hotel booking details. Past event materials are:
- SPDC Newsletter: subscription, current and archived issues
- Admin. Log: Reports Web site maintenance, introductions and strategies
- SPDC Plenary minutes
- Galleries: Pictures taken at SPDC meetings
Forums: Discussion topic areas are:
- Administrative and Standards
- Bibliography and Definitions
- Surge Protective Devices
- Web and Electronic Documentation
- IEEE Standards Association
- Links to other relevant Websites
Login/Logout: In addition it has account modification, creation and password recovery facilities
Companies supporting SPDC Meeting Facilities
The companies listed below sponsored certain SPDC meeting facilities by donations.